Durham sex offender charged in home invasion
Posted September 7, 2010
Updated September 9, 2010
Timberlake, N.C. — A registered sex offender from Durham County was arrested Monday and charged with a weekend home invasion in Person County in which two women were forced to engage in sex acts, authorities said Tuesday.
Alfred Douala Mangabell, 29, of 1815 Vale St. in Durham, was charged with first-degree burglary with forced entry, kidnapping and two counts of aggravated assault with sexual intent. He was being held Tuesday in the Person County jail under a $1 million bond.
A masked man broke into a Timberlake home at about 5 a.m. Sunday and demanded money from the two women inside, Person County Sheriff Dewey Jones said. The women said they didn't have any money but offered the man a diamond ring, which he refused.
The man then forced the two women at gunpoint to engage in sex acts with each other, Jones said. An arrest report noted that the man also fondled the women. After about 40 minutes, the man fled, the women told investigators.
A 6-year-old who was in the home at the time was unhurt, Jones said.
"First case like this I've had to deal with in 23 years," he said.
Timberlake resident Rorie Reaves said the whole community feels violated by the crime. She said she had left her windows open Saturday night
"When I heard, I was in shock. I was in fear. It made me want to go get my gun out," Reaves said. "I feel terrible for (the women). I can't even imagine what they're going through."
The women provided a description of their assailant to Person County deputies, who collected evidence that pointed to Mangabell as the suspect in the case.
"They really didn't get a good look at the face, but there was a very distinctive accent," Jones said, noting that Mangabell is originally from Africa.
Deputies seized a camera during a search of Mangabell's home, according to a search warrant. The camera had been stolen from the Timberlake home and had been used to photograph the assault, the warrant states.
Jones said Mangabell used to live in in the Timberlake community, so he had opportunities to see the women in the area. The women didn't know him, Jones said.
Mangabell, who also uses the name Alfred Manga Bell, was convicted in February of sexual battery, attempted secret peeping, assault inflicting serious bodily injury and assault with a deadly weapon in connection with a May 2009 incident in Bahama, according to the state Department of Correction records. He was placed on probation for 18 months.
Jones said he's been in contact with authorities in Mebane to see if Mangabell is linked to a similar case there.