Personal protection tips for women
Posted June 2, 2010
- Stay alert and be conscious of what, or who, is around you.
- Be confident and avoid the look of being alone, be aware of your surroundings. Look people directly in the eyes.
- Learn basic self-defense moves and always have a plan of escape.
- Trust your instincts, use your intuition. If something does not “feel right” remove yourself from the situation immediately.
- Know your neighborhood and use well-traveled routes. Always be cautious of strangers in the area.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged and accessible.
- Make sure your doors and windows are locked.
- Consider purchasing an alarm system.
- Don’t walk alone. Walk with your spouse, friend or group.
- Keep money hidden and carry your purse close to your body.
- Avoid using automated teller machines at night where lighting and visibility to others is poor. Be cautious of other persons approaching you at the ATM.
- Wear comfortable clothing when walking.
In the car
- Keep your tank filled up and keep your car in good running condition.
- Keep windows rolled up and doors locked when traveling in heavily congested area with lots of foot and vehicle traffic.
- Always park in well-lit parking areas near a streetlight.
- Always be cautious. If followed, never go directly home or to an isolated area. Go directly to a police station or well-lit store and seek help.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
In a bus or taxi
- Always be attentive (stay alert) while on the bus.
- Pick an aisle seat, so that if someone is bothering you, you will be able to leave more easily.
- Don’t be ashamed to tell someone to leave you alone, and be loud enough so that others can hear and be alerted to your situation.
- Use well-known taxi companies, and wait inside for their arrival.
If you are attacked
- Don’t panic. Try to take control of yourself and the situation.
- Don’t resist. Give up your property, not your life!
- Try to distract or confuse the assailant (scream, run).
- If there is a weapon, remain calm, be cooperative and negotiate.