Five arrested, eight homes raided in Wake County pot bust
Posted April 29, 2010
Updated April 30, 2010
Wake County, N.C. — Officers with the Wake County Board of Alcoholic Control Law Enforcement Division raided eight homes in Raleigh and one Fuquay-Varina Thursday in search of an alleged pot-growing operation.
While their primary mission is to root out illegal alcohol, ABC officers have the authority to make drug seizures. They hit several Wake County neighborhoods on tips from neighbors that the homes were being used to grow and distribute marijuana.
Homes searched by ABC officers
Officers uncovered large amounts of processed marijuana and elaborate indoor growing operations. They seized 240 marijuana plants and about 100 pounds of marijuana ready for sale.
They arrested five men:
- William Edward Ramsey III, 36, of 1177 N. Blount Road in Raleigh
- Jay Travis Lam, 38, of 1936 Jupiter Hills Court in Raleigh
- Robert Walker Ingram, of 106 E. Drewry Lane in Raleigh
- Ryan Reaves Klein, of 9420 Waterwood Court in Raleigh
- John Wayne Seward, of 1413 Andersonwood Drive in Fuquay-Varina
The men face charges of manufacturing, possession and trafficking marijuana and maintaining a dwelling to keep a controlled substance. All five were being held at the Wake County jail Thursday night on $1 million bond.
Officers also raided three additional homes in Raleigh: 507 and 521 Mial St. and 1001 N. State St. They said they expected to make more arrests.