Local News

Bond reduced for Duke lacrosse accuser

Posted February 22, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A judge on Monday cut the bond for the woman who four years ago falsely accused three Duke University lacrosse players of raping her after prosecutors agreed to the lower amount.

Crystal Mangum was arrested last Thursday and charged with attempted first-degree murder, five counts of arson, assault and battery, communicating threats, three counts of misdemeanor child abuse, injury to personal property, identity theft and resisting a public officer.

Author Vincent Clark, ghost-writer for Crystal Mangum Author: Lacrosse case still weighs on accuser

Police said she assaulted her boyfriend, Milton Walker, set his clothes on fire in a bathtub and threatened to stab him.

Bond was initially set at $1 million, but District Judge Claude Allen lowered it to $250,000, an amount agreed to by prosecutors and public defender Lawrence Campbell.

Allen also prohibited Mangum from contacting Walker and said she would remain on house arrest if she posts bond.

Mangum wasn't in court Monday for the brief hearing.

Investigators said they believe one of three children inside 2220 Lincoln St. last Wednesday night called 911 to report a domestic dispute. When officers arrived, they found Mangum and Walker fighting.

According to police documents, Mangum scratched, punched and threw objects at Walker and cursed at him. She then went into a bathroom and set his clothes on fire in the bathtub, police said.

The children, ages 3, 9 and 10, weren't injured in the incident.

While a student at North Carolina Central University in 2006, Mangum worked as an exotic dancer and she performed at the now-infamous party for Duke lacrosse team members. She claimed three white players trapped her inside a bathroom and raped and sexually assaulted her.

The three players were indicted on rape and other charges on the basis of her allegations, but they were eventually exonerated after North Carolina's attorney general dismissed the charges.

The case cost former Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong his job, and he was later disbarred. He also spent a night in jail for lying to a Superior Court judge.

In 2008, Mangum wrote a book about her experience, called "Last Dance for Grace," with author Vincent Clark. He visited her in jail last week, and he was in court Monday.

"I've tried as hard as I could to put her in a position where she could better herself and make a better life for her children," he said. "I think it's important that somebody be around to support her, as this process is really difficult for anybody, especially for her under the circumstances."

Clark said he had thought Mangum was doing well in recent months. She had graduated with honors from N.C. Central and was pursuing a master's degree in psychology, he said.

Still, he said, he feels like she continues to deal with the fallout of being the central figure in the Duke lacrosse case.

"I don't think I've ever seen her that bad," he said of visiting her in jail. "She was really sad."

50 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • SailbadTheSinner Feb 22, 2010

    Sounds about right to me.

    I expect I’d be ‘sad’ too if I were sitting in jail under a $250K bond.

    STS

  • St Ives Feb 22, 2010

    If she had half a brain she would leave this area, change her name and try to start fresh someplace else. Then she can be judged for who she claims to have become not for who she was.

  • FortySix Feb 22, 2010

    Slip Kid - you are the first one that actually seems to understand the purpose of bond...not to punish but assure apperance at trial and protect society.

    Don't get me wrong - I am not defending her or the Judge...my job would be easier if she stayed in jail...

    To all - if your are not happy with the liberal judges and their decissions, do as I will - VOTE AGAINST THEM.

  • whocares Feb 22, 2010

    The judge should nothave allow her bail to be lowered. She should have no contact with her children either.

  • Nancy Feb 22, 2010

    "those that keep making light that she danced for a living as if she was so wrong. (i wouldnt do that my myself) but no one has made mention that she was hired to dance by the lacrosse players. so who was wrong?"

    They didn't hire HER specifically, in fact, they admitted they asked for a white dancer.....but what matters is that they did nothing she accused them of, in fact they looked bored to tears in the party photos while she was drunk on the floor, one shoe off/one shoe on.

    As long as women put themselves out there for hire, men will hire............even low life men who don't come from "privilege"

  • manofjustice Feb 22, 2010

    This is really heartbreaking to me. This iconic beauty queen and wonderful mother is once again in the hot seat with the news. Why don't she just get out of Durham and move to Tacoma or Portland. Start a new life. People in this area are jealous of her and will continue to pick on her. I will continue to pray for her.

  • meeper Feb 22, 2010

    If the attorney general had had any backbone during the Duke case, she would have been prosecuted for filing a false report and thrown in jail. He caved in because of the backlash that would have followed from the African American community.Democrats can't afford to rile their voting block!!!

  • makeadiff Feb 22, 2010

    wow how low can we go

  • wakemom Feb 22, 2010

    those that keep making light that she danced for a living as if she was so wrong. (i wouldnt do that my myself) but no one has made mention that she was hired to dance by the lacrosse players. so who was wrong?

  • Retired07 Feb 22, 2010

    Well she will soon be out there again fellow taxpayers, and again, and again until she get s ultimate justice which is coming for sure.
    That is the only way you and I will not have this leech to deal with.

More...