Local News

Durham woman receives kidney from son

Posted November 26, 2009

— This time last year, Delores Evans had just received a kidney transplant from her son, who had recently committed suicide.

“Last year, we didn’t think about Thanksgiving, we were so torn apart,” Evans said Thursday.

In April, Evans started speaking to groups about organ donation.

“Each time I talk about my story and what having a kidney transplant has done for me, it aides in my grieving,” Evans said.

Delores Evans Durham woman gets kidney from son

Evans still battled with grief, but said her life was changed when she met Fred Krenrich, the man that received her son’s lungs.

“Meeting Fred had just added a different level to my peace of mind,” Evans said.

Krenrich had never met Evans’ son, but he wanted to reach out to his mother to say “thank you.”

“Being able to roll around on the floor with my grandchildren or dance with my wife at a wedding, I couldn’t do that and now I can,” Krenrich said.

“Fred has referred to us as family and that’s just what we consider him,” Evans said.

Evans will be in the Rose Bowl Parade on New Year's Day. She will be representing her son and organ donation.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • anneonymousone Nov 27, 2009

    It's both touching and tragic that Ryan Evans gave his mother a chance at a healthy life when he felt that he could no longer live his. May there be comfort for Ms. Evans in knowing that she is saving lives by discussing organ donation and suicide.

  • jenzinnia Nov 27, 2009

    What a fine young man you raised Mrs. Evans. While your son battled his demons, deep down inside he never forgot one of his core values....doing for and taking care of others...especially his mother. God Bless all the organ donors out there..their families..as well as those individuals that receive donated organs and their families.

  • ListentoMeNow Nov 27, 2009

    I share in Mrs. Evan's grief. I am so glad that she was able to receive a kidney. She is a very brave person to be able to support a wonderful cause such as organ donation. I wish my experience had been different. My best friend and housemate took his life in 2007. He remained on life support at Wake Med and received what I think was the best care he could have received anywhere in the world. He was an organ donor. The day we decided to take him off of life support Wake Med immediately called the organ folks, right before noon. By 4:00pm we still had heard nothing. We called and were told that they were en route. When the rep arrived he informed us they need at least eight hours to perform tests. When a family has finally made the infathomable decision to cease life support eight hours is a long time. I am blaming noone, but had their been a better system on the organ folk's side the organs from this young man's body could have helped others such as Mrs. Evan's son's did. Sad.