Preventing vehicle break-ins
Posted September 10, 2009
Rocky Mount Police offered these tips to help prevent vehicle break-ins.
- Immediately report suspicious activity, including people and vehicles. Try to have a good physical description and car description/registration number to report to police when you call. Call 252-972-1411 or for a crime in progress, call 911.
- Do not leave valuables in the vehicle, especially in clear view. Remove such items as wallets, CDs, laptops, gym bags, bank envelopes and purses.
- Close and lock vehicle windows and doors should be locked at all times.
- Don't leave keys in vehicles.
- Use an alarm if your vehicle is equipped with one.
- Park in areas with good lighting.
- Do not park on the street.
- Remove shrubbery around your home and driveway that could conceal a thief.
- If you are a victim of a vehicle break-in, have your registration information, as well as a detailed listing of all stolen items and their serial numbers. That information will help police recover the stolen items. Report the crime as soon as you are aware; do not wait. Physical evidence, such as latent fingerprints, can be destroyed or contaminated.
To learn more about the protecting valuables or other crime prevention tips, contact Crime Prevention Technician, Yvette Jones at 252-972-1436.