Local News

Fatal Smithfield house fire was an accident

Posted August 12, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Smithfield fire inspectors have ruled that a fire that killed a man early Wednesday was an accident.

A pot left on a stove at 423 Martin Luther King Drive caused the fire that claimed the life of 49-year-old Quincy Smith, according to Smithfield Fire Marshall Paul Whitehurst.

Smith, who was visiting at the home, had escaped the fire, but went back inside try and put it out, Whitehurst said.

Four to five others who were inside when the fire started escaped without injuries, authorities said.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • beachboater Aug 13, 2009

    Property can be replaced. Lives cannot.

  • shortcake53 Aug 12, 2009

    How sad that he got out, only to go back in and lose his life.