Local News

Authorities involved in standoff in Rocky Mount

Posted May 25, 2009
Updated May 26, 2009

— A standoff in Rocky Mount involving a man wanted on numerous arrest warrants entered into its eighth hour Monday evening as authorities from several agencies tried to get him to surrender.

Man barricaded in Rocky Mount home Man barricaded in Rocky Mount home

Nash County deputies were trying to serve outstanding warrants on Thomas Austin Rose, 22, for a probation violation and a larceny charge when Rose barricaded himself inside a house at 724 Dana Lane, Sheriff Richard Jenkins said.

No one else was inside the house.

Jenkins said authorities had received a tip that Rose was at the house, which belongs to a friend, and that when deputies arrived at around 1:20 p.m., he ran into the house and fired what he thought to be warning shots.

Jenkins said authorities pulled Rose over a couple of weeks ago and that Rose ran off. They had been searching for him since.

Rocky Mount police, the Nash County Sheriff's Office and the North Carolina Highway Patrol were on hand Monday evening, including a police negotiator and the police department's Special Response Team.

“The friends that he does have do care about him right now. We want him to do what is right and come out,” said Sara Beane, Rose's friend.

Utility crews were also on standby to cut off power to the house, if needed. Rose turned off his cell phone at about 9 p.m. so officers were using an electronic amplification system to communicate to him.

"It's unnerving. You never know when there might be a shootout with this," said Frank Phelps, a neighbor. "You just never know. I hope it comes along peacefully. He's got to know he can't get out of there."

Rose has a criminal record dating back to 2004, and he has been in and out of jail since 2005, according to court records. Some of his charges were breaking and entering, resisting a public officer and possession of stolen goods.

“Nobody wants to go back to jail and that is probably why he doesn't want to come out,” Beane said.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Sauratownmtn May 26, 2009

    ROCKY MOUNT (WTVD) -- Medical officials transported a standoff suspect to Nash General Hospital by ambulance Tuesday morning.
    They say he shot himself with a pistol but do not know when he did it. His condition is unknown.
    The incident began Monday when officers surrounded a home on Dana Lane in Rocky Mount shortly after 1 p.m

  • b-ball fan May 26, 2009

    wtvd says it's been over and the guy is on the way to the hospital. wral is a little behind.

  • Lyle May 26, 2009

    Nip it in the bud!

  • 2Pir8s May 26, 2009

    At 1 a.m., they fired tear gas into a room, apparently, the door was closed so it didn't get into the house.

  • ooooooooooooooooo May 26, 2009

    Why are they waiting so long before they fire in tear gas or smoke? Appears this drama has been going on long enough. I can not imagine how much this is costing the citizens of Nash County/Rocky Mount. He has already become a "celebrity" in his own eyes when he started this drama. Stop playing with him.

  • thepeopleschamp May 26, 2009

    Where are all the comments from the armchair qb's who like to say what they would have done and what the police did wrong? Nevermind, they have to wait until it's all over and see how it ends before they start second guessing.