Local News

Energy assistance programs

Posted January 23, 2009

Facing a threat of losing your power? Here's some resources that can help you save money and keep your utilities running all year long.

Utility Low-Income Energy Efficiency

Typical services for eligible customers include sealing air leaks, installing insulation, replacing existing lighting with energy efficient bulbs and performing tune-ups and repairs to heating and cooling systems. For more information, to check if you are eligible to receive services, or to find the nearest service provider, call the N.C. Office of Economic Opportunity at 919-715-5850 or visit www.ncdhhs.gov/oeo/WAP/weather.htm

Emergency Charitable Assistance

Please note these charitable funds are last-resort emergency funds with limited resources and limited times of operation.

Albemarle Electric Membership Corporation Operation RoundUp - Customer donations provide funds for individuals and organizations. Examples of individual requests may include emergency medical care, heating system repair, or wheelchair purchase. Call 252-426-5735, 1-800-215-9915 or visit www.albemarle-emc.com/operationroundup.html.

Cape Hatteras Electric Roundup Program - Customer donations assist individuals and families who are suffering unusual or unexpected problems and are in grave need of assistance. Grants may be used to pay for shelter, clothing, food, health care, emergencies, and other humane needs. Grant limits are $1,000 per individual or $2,500 per family or non-profit organization per year.
Call 252-995-5616, 1-800-454-5616 or visit www.chec.coop/billing.html.

Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative Operation Roundup - Customer donations are placed in the Carteret-Craven Electric Foundation. The Foundation, governed by a volunteer Board of Directors reviews applications from groups requesting the funds. Individuals needing assistance apply through their local county Social Services Department who then screen the applications for Carteret-Craven. Call 252-727-2226 or visit www.ccemc.com/Community%20Involvement/.

Central Electric Membership Corporation Member Cares - Member donations are used to help less fortunate members with their heating bills - regardless of the type of fuel they use. Money will be distributed by the Department of Social Services in the respective counties served by Central Electric. Call 919-774-4900, 1-800-446-7752 or visit www.centralelectriconline.com/pages/services.php#good.

Dominion North Carolina Power EnergyShare - A fuel assistance program that helps pay home heating bills for those in need living within the company's service area. It pays for any heating source: oil, gas, kerosene, wood, and electricity. It is a program of last resort for the elderly, the ill... for all who face financial hardships from unemployment or family crisis. Payments go directly to energy vendors on behalf of those helped. Call 1-888-667-3000 or send e-mail to rita_randolph@dom.com or visit www.dom.com/about/community/energyshare.jsp.

Duke Power Share the Warmth - A heating bill assistance program funded by Duke Power customers and Duke Energy shareholders. The Duke Energy Foundation matches individual contributions, dollar-for-dollar up to $50, for a maximum corporate contribution of $500,000 annually. The funds may be used for the payment of heating costs, regardless of energy source.
Contact partner agencies. Call 1-800-777-9898 or visit www.duke-energy.com/community/programs/share-the-warmth.asp.

Duke Power Cooling Assistance Program - Funded by Duke Power and the Duke Energy Foundation, an annual contribution of $250,000 is spread among the counties within their service area. A specific agency (or agencies) is selected in each county to distribute the funds and to determine the criteria for family eligibility.  Contact partner agencies or visit www.duke-energy.com/community/programs/cooling-assistance.asp.

Duke Power Fan-Heat Relief Program - The Duke Energy Foundation contributes $40,000 annually for the purchase of fans for senior citizens. Administered by the N.C. Department of Human Resources/Division of Aging.  Contact partner agencies or visit www.duke-energy.com/community/programs/fan-heat-relief.asp.

Fayetteville Public Works Commission People Who Care - PWC customers provide donations that will be used to assist area residents in need with the payment of their electricity bills throughout the entire year. Funds are administered by the Cumberland County Salvation Army. Call 910-483-8119 or visit www.faypwc.com/prog_projectwarmth.htm.

Four County Electric Membership Corporation Operation Round Up - Customer donations provide funds for necessities such as groceries, clothing, shelter, prescription drugs and medical care. Up to $2,000 can be awarded to individuals in crisis situations.
In Burgaw, call 910-259-2361 or 1-888-368-7289; Elizabethtown 910-862-3551 or 1-888-368-7289; Rose Hill 910-289-4534 or 1-888-368-7289; or visit www.fourcty.org/index.php?p=6&s=36.

Haywood Electric Membership Corporation Helping Each Member Cope - This program is designed to assist families or individuals experiencing hardships paying energy costs brought about by extreme weather conditions, decrease in household income, or who are experiencing unusual and/or unexpected crises beyond their control. Customer contributions are administered by the Department of Social Services. Call 828-452-6620 or 828-452-6686.

Lumbee River Electric Membership Corporation LREMC Cares - Member contributions are distributed to families who are experiencing a crisis with their electric bill as determined by local community service agencies. Community service agencies administer funds on a year-round basis (depending on fund availability). Recipients may receive up to $150 in assistance one time a year. In Cumberland County, call the Fayetteville Urban Ministry at 910-483-5944; Hoke, Dept. of Social Services 910-875-8725; Robeso, Robeson County Church & Community Services 910-738-5204; Scotland, Scotland County Church & Community Services 910-276-8330; or visit www.lumbeeriver.com/energy_services/energy_assistance.aspx.

Mecklenburg County Crisis Assistance Ministry - A partnership of the religious community, a gas and an electric utility, United Way and Mecklenburg County that addresses utility, food, and basic needs. Through a public-private partnership, Mecklenburg County and United Way provide most of the Ministry's operating funds. Contributions are received from area congregations, the City of Charlotte, utilities, individuals, foundations, businesses and community organizations.  Call 704-371-3000  or visit www.crisisassistance.org/.

Nashville Electric Service Project Help - Provides emergency energy assistance to those who need it most. Project Help is administered by Big Brothers of Nashville, Inc. To find out if you qualify for energy assistance, call Customer Service at 615-736-6900. or visit www.nespower.com/energy_assistance.aspx.

Piedmont Electric Membership Corporation Project Helping Hand - Customer donations assist less fortunate customers during crisis situations. In Hillsborough, call 919-732-2123; in Roxboro, 336-599-0151; in Caswell County, 336-421-6265.

Piedmont Natural Gas Share the Warmth - Piedmont matches contributions from customers and employees. Funds are used to help with any type of heating bill - gas, propane, oil, electricity, coal, kerosene or wood. The program is administered by local social service agencies. Visit www.piedmontng.com/itc/communityOutreach/shareTheWarmth

Progress Energy Carolinas Energy Neighbor Fund - Receives support from employees, customers, churches and civic organizations for heating assistance. Employee and customer campaigns help raise funds for Project Share each fall, and the Progress Energy Foundation provides $250,000 in matching funds. Call 919-508-5400 (Raleigh area) or 1-800-452-2777 (outside Raleigh area) or visit http://www.progress-energy.com/community/enf.asp.

Randolph Electric Membership Corporation People Helping People - Member donations are given to REMC families and individuals that are in need of assistance. Call 1-800-672-8212 or visit www.randolphemc.com/Products/people.asp.

Surry-Yadkin Electric Membership Corporation Round Up Program - Customer donations help individuals and families who may be facing a crisis situation. Losing a home to a fire, loss of a job, and medical and humane necessities are examples of crisis situations. Applications are available at the Surry-Yadkin EMC office in Dobson. Call 800-682-5903, 336-386-8241 or visit www.syemc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=38

Wake County Warmth for Wake - Provides economic support to needy families and individuals to help them pay heating costs during the winter months. Funded entirely by contributions from private citizens, churches and other civic organizations. Call 919-212-7083 (Wake County Human Services), 919-781-7979 (North Carolina Bankers Association), 1- 800-662-7044 or visit

Wake Electric Operation Round-Up®  - Households at 150 percent or less of poverty may be eligible for assistance with utility deposits and electric bills. Apply at local county department of social services. Call 919.863.6300 or visit http://www.wemc.com/oproundup.aspx


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all