Local News

Timeline shows response time for Fraley 911 call

Posted August 17, 2008

— A timeline released by Orange County Emergency Services on Sunday shows paramedics arrived to a Chapel Hill High School football player's home less than 10 minutes after the teen called 911.

Atlas Fraley, 17, called 911 at 1:45 p.m. Tuesday “complaining of full body cramps and hurting all over,” the timeline shows. Fraley indicated he had just returned home from football practice.

Fraley was a senior offensive guard and defensive tackle on the Chapel Hill High School football team, which participated in a Tuesday morning scrimmage at Middle Creek High School in Apex.

A paramedic response vehicle arrived at 1:53 p.m. at the Fraley family’s home at 202 Fan Branch Lane. Within 25 minutes, emergency workers were “cleared” to leave.

Fraley was not taken to a hospital. It remained unclear whether he refused to be taken to one or paramedics thought he was well enough to stay at home alone.

A paramedic response vehicle is different from the ambulances used to transport patients. It is fully equipped to handle medical emergencies, officials said.

Fraley’s parents found him unresponsive at the home Tuesday evening, and they were unable to revive him.

The timeline shows a 911 call was made by Fraley’s family at 6:32 p.m. Chapel Hill First Responders arrived on the scene within six minutes followed by a paramedic at 6:43 p.m.

Orange County Emergency Management Services officials are also investigating the case, but they have declined to discuss it.

Funeral services for Fraley were held Saturday at Chapel Hill Bible Church.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Tarheel born Aug 18, 2008

    What we ALL need to do is wait for the autopsy report to see what really caused this promising young man's death.

    It's just possible that NO ONE is at fault. Sometimes things just happen and there's nothing we can do about it. We can all sit in our easy chairs and speculate 'til the cows come home but it won't bring him back. Let's just wait until ALL the facts are in.

  • CrewMax Aug 18, 2008

    I want to know if they treated the boy at all. Did they give him fluids? Why did he not go to the hospital. Why aren't the EMS
    talking unless they have been advised not to. This shouldn't
    have happened and the only good that come of it is if there is
    an open and fair investigation.

  • clintoflannagan Aug 18, 2008

    I guess I don't understand what's so wrong with the family trying to find out why/how their son died. I would think that everyone reading this story would agree that the circumstances are at least unusual. If my son died under these circumstances I'd get to the bottom of it, too. If signs pointed to negligence on the part of someone, I'd explore that, too.

  • vollyfire310 Aug 18, 2008

    It's amazing to me why the school hasn't been blamed to start with either. Why was he let go from the Coach's care if he wasn't feeling well. Then again onset of the symptoms could have started when he got home. It certainly is a tragedy but it's hard to center blame on someone considering there's only one party to explain what exactly happened. It's too bad he didn't contact his parents. Should have been a top priority next to calling for help.

    Oldschooltarheel: As a functioning EMT, I don't believe a good EMT is a "scoop and run" EMT, it's called pre-hospital care for a reason. They need to make it to the hospital don't they. I've run calls before where we've worked a patient for an hour plus. Then transported to the hospital and they are still around today. It's all a matter of the care provided and the situation. You're not going to win them all. If EMS did everything they could or not is one thing, but right now is nothing but pure speculation.

  • elberry08 Aug 18, 2008

    I am shocked that is not a backlash against the school and everyone is only focusing on 911.

    "Fraley had played in a scrimmage against Middle Creek High School in Apex on Tuesday morning. During the game, he complained of a headache and coaches took him out until he felt better. The headache returned, and they took him out for good."

    Why was he allowed to leave when obviously he was not well at all? Why isn't the school being hammered by the media, public, and family?

    This is a very tragic death, because it should have been prevented starting with the SCHOOLS response.

  • oldschooltarheel Aug 18, 2008

    1. He knew he was having pain & called 911 for help. No mention of respiratory problem.
    2. No adult in the house when medics assessed minor.
    3. Medics left minor ALONE rather than transport to UNCMH.
    4. Minor found dead by family in home later that evening.

    Yeah, that's the ticket.
    Please God do not let me EVER need 911 "medical" assistance while living in NC. Better to take cab to ER. I have watched the local yokels mess around with folks who have come in off the beach - 45 minutes before transporting. My beach neighbor collapsed in his house - wife said they "worked on him" over an hour before transporting. Errr, no thanks folks. I want my "golden hour" to be at a properly equipped & staffed ER rather than wasting away while some joker "plays doctor" on me in the field (lessening my chances of recovery by the minute).
    Good EMTs know how to "scoop & run" & triage takes minutes rather than 10s of minutes.

  • ramsey1165 Aug 18, 2008

    In my opinion, there needs to be a full blown investigation into why this child was left alone to die. The EMTs should have called his parents and advised them of his condition, summoned the ambulance and taken this child to the hospital and maybe, just maybe Atlas Frayley would still be alive today. Another child gone too soon! My prayers are with the family.

  • hkypky Aug 18, 2008

    Seeminglyopposed: His family isn't reading WRAL blogs ... or at least I hope they aren't - and not because of anything positive or negative. It's a freakin' news channel blog!

    Secondly, I haven't heard too many cracks, if any, on the boy for having called paramedics. I think most of the questions are around whether the boys parents were contacted at all by paramedics or just came home to what must have been a horrific sight.

    If the parents were aware paramedics were called to the house, that's one thing. If they had no such knowledge, it's a much different story.

  • mmania Aug 18, 2008

    There is no one to blame what what happened. It just happened. The parents knew the MAN-CHILD had asthma problems, but couldn't find the time to come home "after" he called the paramedics the first time.

    AMVAUGHA: As for a law suit,the father stated on TV "I'm going to get to the bottom of this if it takes the rest of my life".

    Doesn't sound like he's willing to take responsibility to me.

  • Seeminglyopposed Aug 18, 2008

    He was smart calling the paramedics first. His parents could not have ran lights to get their son, were as if this young man continuously asked for an IV, something that his parents could have not given him. Why all this blaming, this young promising life has ended. Now let the harhness rest, like this young man is now doing.