Local News

Friends say Cary man's innocent of sex charge

Posted August 8, 2008
Updated March 17, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A Cary man accused of taking indecent liberties with a 12-year-old boy is innocent of the charges he faces, his friends said Friday.

Dakota Walter Lee Melton, 21, of 324 Brook Arbor Drive, is charged with one count of felony taking indecent liberties with children and one count of second-degree kidnapping.

According to search warrants returned earlier this week, Melton met the boy on MySpace and eventually took him back to his apartment, where the boy fell asleep on the couch.

The boy awoke with a man "sucking on his neck," investigators said in search warrant affidavits. A juvenile-certified sexual assault nurse examiner found hickeys on the boy's body, the warrant stated.

Neither Melton nor his attorney will comment on the case, but friends, who did not want to be identified, say "he is not a pedophile" and would never have don’t anything like what police allege. Investigators won't comment either and won't say if the boy ever told Melton his true age.

"It's not what a person believes or should believe, it's what the age is," Cary police Capt. Mike Williams said.

Melton, who made his first court appearance Friday morning, also told investigators during their initial investigation on July 24 that he performed sexual acts via a Web cam for their primary source of income.

That prompted investigators to apply for search warrants. They seized five computer hard drives, a DVD, a digital camera and two memory cards from the apartment.

"We're continuing our investigation to see if there are other crimes we should be charging, other offenses," Williams said.

Melton's next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 28.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • eric52272 Mar 17, 2009

    the parents of the minor child should be charged also...they either allowed or didn't know he was misstating his age on myspace...either way shows negligence on their part.

  • Tarheel born Aug 11, 2008

    Sex acts on the web cam as their primary source of income...sounds like more charges are coming such as distributing pornography. And since it was over the internet and available world wide guess who's gonna come calling? The 'G' man!

  • Tarheel born Aug 11, 2008

    Doc Jones, so you are more an authority of police procedure and criminal law because you watch "To Catch a Predator" on NBC? Please, NBC's never done an episode in N.C. using N.C. Statutes as their primary source of criminal law and procedure.

  • anonemoose Aug 11, 2008

    If he is found guilty, take his friends to jail too.

  • Mr. Middle of the Road Aug 11, 2008

    Well, whether he did it or not, the press has convicted him by running the story.

  • TheAdmiral Aug 11, 2008

    I agree with the Police. No Relativism here. If he was 16 or 17 then he should have some form of ID with a birthday on it.

    So since he was 21 and his profile said he was 17, he was engaging in soliciting of minors for sexual contact.

    It's nice to see them all on the Sexual Predator lists.

  • hollaaron Aug 11, 2008

    Well lets see here. The boy did lie about his age, he said he was 17. Also the boy looks like he is 17, he is like 5' 8", deep jaw line, and is growing a moustache, I don't know to many 16 year olds that looked as old as he did. Don't judge the man because you think you know the facts when you don't. I bet all of you would have been fooled by this kid. And Dakota had a friend with him during the day and he believed that the kid was 17 too.

  • MizzZeta Aug 11, 2008

    LOL @ buco's Freudian slip!

  • buco Aug 11, 2008

    it is always the case ie ( he was suck a ncie guy, he stayed to himself, ba ba ba)

  • intuit Aug 11, 2008