Local News

Man found floating in Falls Lake dies

Posted August 1, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A man found floating in Falls Lake Friday morning died a few hours later, authorities said.

The unidentified 44-year-old man and his wife were riding personal watercrafts near the Rolling View Recreational Area at the Wake-Durham county line at about 11:30 a.m. when he lost control in a turn, said Sgt. Tim Sasser of the state Wildlife Resources Commission.

The man fell off into the water and might have struck his head on the back of the craft, Sasser said, noting the man was wearing a life jacket and the proper safety equipment at the time of the accident.

"He was on it by himself and ... he made a right turn and hit his head," he said. "(His wife was) the only witness that actually saw what happened."

The man was able to call once to his wife for help before losing consciousness, Sasser said.

"When he actually fell and came off the jet, he actually responded and said, 'Get me some help,' or something to that effect," he said.

Several rescue boats responded to the area, and paramedics performed CPR on the man in a boat on a boat launch for several minutes before he was taken by ambulance to Duke University Hospital.

"They tried CPR ... for about 20 minutes," said Sam Corbett, who witnessed the rescue attempt. "I was hoping they'd be able to get him back to life. There were three or four of them trying to perform CPR."

Authorities haven't determined whether the man drowned, died from a medical condition or suffered some type of trauma.

29 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • smartmomma Aug 1, 2008

    SOme of you people are so stupid and rude. This poor guy died right in front of his wife and you're worried about drinking water?

  • illegals--GO HOME Aug 1, 2008

    My most sincere condolences to the family, especially his wife who was right there as he died. I know this is such a hard thing to deal with and to feel so hopeless. Turn to those who love you to help you through this tragedy.

  • Made In USA Aug 1, 2008

    Peppered....they just updated the story and added the info about him wearing a life jacket.

  • Peppered Aug 1, 2008

    It's amazing to me that so many people DON'T read the full story. It plainly states that he was wearing a life vest. My prayers to the family.

  • str8-line Aug 1, 2008

    NC Native 56, since you seem to know it all go to some post where you may be more effective. A person died this morning and a family is hurting. Please try and show respect.

  • peaceout Aug 1, 2008

    for whatever reason my last post was tossed...let me re-phrase.
    Even though we were almost run over by one last summer...most drivers wear their vests, they just drive like there are no rules of the water.

  • Mr. Middle of the Road Aug 1, 2008

    Sad, and a tragedy. But I am not surprised. Those things are the worst nusiance on the water. Most people have no idea how to ride them. They are being banned on many waters, and should be on Falls.

  • Tarheel True Aug 1, 2008

    Oh yeah "wakebrdnrc" that is exactly what we need is more government interference. Give away your freedoms not mine!

    The no wake zone off the end of the boat ramp at Shinleaf Point is ridiculous enough, and wildlife officers stopping people at blind bends has to stop!

    98% of the people on Falls Lake know how to behave and operate their boats accordingly, but just as in the rest of society there about 2% of people who think the universe revolves around them and are cluless of the consequences of their actions. That is why we have wildlife officers to protect the majority from the clueless few. Once again the media has reported a story without all the facts. Imagine that! From 1st glance from the few facts we have, it is just a tragic accident. He apparently made too swift of a manuver and when he went overboard his head hit the PWC in such a way to kill him.

    Let's not further throw away our freedoms because of one unfortunate accident. Don't Tread On Me!!

  • Tired Of Excuses Aug 1, 2008

    Very sad. My thoughts are with his family.

  • At Work Aug 1, 2008

    Im praying for this family at this hard time!

More...