Storm safety tips for mariners
Posted July 19, 2008
The Coast Guard offered the following tips for mariners during hurricanes and other storms.
- Stay informed. Stay aware of weather conditions, and monitor the progress and strength of the storm through local television, radio and internet. Boaters can monitor its progress on VHF channel 16.
- Check the current and expected weather and water conditions before heading out, and be aware that weather conditions can quickly change.
- Wear their lifejackets while on the water.
- File a float plan with friends, family members and the local marina before heading out. The list should include the number of passengers onboard the vessel, their destination and expected time of return.
- Always have a working radio onboard their vessel, because cell-phone coverage varies from region to region.
- Carry marine flares onboard their vessel to signal rescuers in distress and emergency situations.
- Keep a Global Positioning System or Electronic Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) so you can more easily be located in the event of distress.
- Secure your belongings. Owners of recreational boats should take appropriate precautions to prevent damage to their and others' vessels.