Defense rests in Jakiem Wilson murder trial
Posted July 7, 2008
Raleigh, N.C. — The defense wrapped up its case Monday in the trial of Jakiem Wilson, a Wendell man accused in the death of his wife. Closing arguments are expected to begin Tuesday.
Nneka Wilson, 24, was found stabbed to death inside her 6637 Eagles Crossing Drive home on Feb. 12, 2007. She had been dead for up to 16 hours before Jakiem Wilson called 911.
Wilson claimed to have been out of town when his wife was killed and said he found her body on the kitchen floor, along with the message, "Your (expletive) is dead. You're next," scrawled in her blood.
Last week, Wake County prosecutors rested their case. The defense started arguments at 9:30 a.m. Monday and rested at 3:15 p.m. Wilson did not testify.
Last month, however, he claimed responsibility for his wife's death but said it did not constitute first-degree murder.
Jamie Russell Holder, a co-defendant in the case, testified last week that Wilson said he was thinking about killing Nneka Wilson because she was "nagging" him about a Myspace page and whether he had been chatting online with other women.
Holder also testified that Wilson threatened to kill him too if he did not help cover up evidence. Holder testified he wrote the message to make it appear as if it were a gang killing.
Holder, of 1418 Old Buck Horn Road in Garner, and Roderick Ryan Howell, of 1337 Hodge Road in Knightdale, are also charged with accessories after the fact of murder in the case.