Local News

8 Treated for Carbon Monoxide Exposure at Raleigh Motel

Posted March 25, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Eight people at a Raleigh motel were treated for carbon monoxide exposure early Tuesday.

Five guests at the Super 8, 2501 S. Saunders St., reported problems after a water heater in the laundry room malfunctioned, authorities said.

The five guests left the motel and tried to drive themselves to a hospital, but they couldn’t find one, Wake County Fire Assistant Chief Phillip Woodlief said. Emergency workers picked them up on Glenwood Avenue and took them to WakeMed for treatment.

Additional emergency workers went to the Super 8 and evacuated the motel, which had 37 people inside, including two employees. Three more people were then taken to WakeMed for exposure.

Woodlief said a bad situation was averted because people inside the hotel recognized symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning – including headaches, nausea and fatigue – and sought treatment.

Carbon monoxide has no smell. Prolonged exposure can lead to brain damage or death.

13 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Greyhound_Girl Mar 26, 2008

    I agree SaveEnergyMan. I actually carry a "plug-in" model with a battery back up when I travel ($25 at Walmart). Better safe than sorry.

  • malave27896 Mar 25, 2008

    Glad to know that everyone is ok and no deaths were involved. I hope now they will install monitors to detect that.

  • jlh4jdj Mar 25, 2008

    Hey they were just trying a new way to get rid of the rats and roaches in the hotel. I stayed there one night and let's just say I did the early check-out in the morning.

  • slaterric Mar 25, 2008

    Ah come on now SouthernLady05. Roaches, mice and a general musty smell add "character" to a room to sleep in.

  • SouthernLady05 Mar 25, 2008

    Let me just say, this hotel is nasty... never... ever stay there... ever

  • SaveEnergyMan Mar 25, 2008

    Get your facts straight people! Carbon monoxide, CO, is a colorless odorless gas that is produced when fuel is not completely burned - like in gas fired water heaters and cars. It can build up and seep from a boiler room into an adjacent hotel room, if the boiler is not properly tuned AND the ventilation system is not working well. It can kill because it bonds to hemoglobin and won't let go - meaning you can't get oxygen in your blood. Low concentrations are dangerous, in the parts per million, is all it takes.

    Carbon dioxide - CO2 is the greenhouse gas that is formed when fuel is burned completely. It does not destroy the ozone layer, but some people blame it for global warming (the jury's still out on that one). In very high quantities it can kill - maybe 1% by volume, but that's really high.

    Hotels should be required to put CO monitors in rooms adjacent to the laundry and boiler rooms. This is not the first time I've seen this happen. People have died.

  • Shadow213 Mar 25, 2008

    they're not from the area, so they decided to try and find a hospital on their own?? that's kind of dumb...

  • iron fist Mar 25, 2008

    Were all 5 victims related? They reported the problem after a water heater malfunctioned. Did they know the water heater had malfunctioned? I smell a rat.

  • ataloss Mar 25, 2008

    What happened to the original claim that the fire was caused by discarded smoking material????

  • PikeMom4real Mar 25, 2008

    Hope they all fully recover.

More...