Man Wanted in Ex-Wife's Slaying Surrenders
Posted March 5, 2008
Raeford, N.C. — A Hoke County man who had been sought since Monday in the stabbing death of his ex-wife, surrendered to authorities Wednesday afternoon.
Allen Thomas Sr., 51, called his son from a wooded area in the eastern part of the county to arrange the surrender, Sheriff Hubert Peterkin said. Deputies picked him up at the end of McRae-Bronson Road, off Doc Brown Road, the sheriff explained.
Thomas had spent the past two days in the woods, going without food, water or his diabetes medication, Peterkin said.
Linda Shaw Thomas, 47, was stabbed 21 times early Monday after someone broke into her home east of Raeford, authorities said. She called 911 during the attack.
Linda and Allen Thomas had been divorced for 10 years, and she took out a restraining order against him last July to keep him from entering her home, authorities said.
Warrants charge Thomas with first-degree murder, breaking and entering and violating a domestic violence order. He was expected to be booked Wednesday evening into the Hoke County Jail after receiving treatment for dehydration and cuts.
The couple's two children, Allen Thomas Jr., 21, and Comecya Thomas, 20, made a public plea Tuesday for their father to surrender.
Neither of the children was at their mother's house at the time of the attack. But two foster children, girls ages 15 and 17, were there, Linda Thomas' screams woke them, authorities said.
The foster children, who weren't injured, are staying with Linda Thomas' relatives, authorities said.