Personal Safety Tips for Woman
Posted February 1, 2008
The Fayetteville Police Department offers the following personal safety tips for women:
- Lock all doors and windows and use available alarms.
- Contact police if you notice suspicious individuals or activities. Call 911, and ask for an officer to respond. Some examples of suspicious behavior include someone who is loitering, approaching single women, vehicles or individuals that don't normally belong in the area and people who aren't properly dressed for the environment or weather.
- Use the buddy system when going out.
- Be aware of your surroundings during the day and night, regardless of whether you home or are away. Be particularly cautious in unfamiliar surroundings.
- Get to know your neighbors and the environment in which you live.
- Be a good neighbor and look out for one another.
- When jogging or walking, go with a friend, and vary your route.
- Do not use earphones when exercising outdoors. They can prevent you from hearing approaching footsteps or vehicles.
- Exercise in open areas. Avoid areas where someone can easily hide.
- Don't forget to close and lock windows and doors before leaving your home.
- Make sure a family member or close friend knows where you are going and when you should return.
- Keep your cell phone with you in case an emergency arises.
More information on safety precautions and how to protect yourself is available by calling the police department's Crime Prevention Unit at 910-433-1033.