Local News

Fire Guts Half of Raleigh Duplex

Posted November 22, 2007

— City authorities Thursday were investigating a morning fire that heavily damaged a duplex apartment building at 1821 Bakers Grove Way.

The State Bureau of Investigation joined city detectives in the probe, and investigators said they believe the fire was intentionally set.

No injuries were reported in the blaze, which started at about 7:40 a.m. and was brought under control within a half-hour. Firefighters who arrived on the scene three minutes after receiving the call reported finding one side of the duplex fully involved in fire.

They contained the fire to that side of the building in the Washington Terrace complex.

"“Our first concern is to make sure everybody’s out and nobody’s injured,” fire department Capt. Michael Hayes said.

“We had the flames knocked down pretty quick. Then it’s just a matter of not disturbing evidence until the investigation takes place,” Hayes added.

Tammy Goodson and her family live in the other side of the duplex that didn't burn. They woke up to a neighbor across the street banging on the door.

“Saying 'ya'll get out, get out, get out, because the apartment next door is on fire,’" Goodson said.

Investigators said the fire appeared to have started in a chair in the living room.

The woman who lived duplex where the fire begun spent the morning quoting scripture and talking to investigators. She left the scene in the back of a Raleigh patrol car.

The Goodson family said they are just thankful nobody was hurt.

"It's a sad situation, I mean it's Thanksgiving. We're thankful that we are still alive and we are here," Goodson said.

Investigators said they had identified a person of interest, but are not releasing a name.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • juli28428 Nov 22, 2007

    These guys are to be praised. Four to six minutes is amazing to me. I just don't see how they do that.

  • bigbr0ther Nov 22, 2007

    Average response time is generally 4-6 minutes, after the dispatch. So they were on the ball. Plus it was at 7:30, right around shift change where they were wide awake and probably checking off the fire trucks at that time so that helped out a lot. Not to mention not much traffic on the road as there would be on a normal day with all the work traffic.

  • juli28428 Nov 22, 2007

    "Firefighters who arrived on the scene three minutes after receiving the call reported finding one side of the duplex fully involved in fire."

    Three minutes! I find their response time truly amazing.

  • bigbr0ther Nov 22, 2007

    "No injuries were reported in the blaze, which was reported at 7:40 a.m."

    Not trying to be a jerk, but this will answer your question. haha

  • whatelseisnew Nov 22, 2007

    I hope no one was injured.