Man Convicted of Killing Teen Robber Out on Bond
Posted November 10, 2007
Rocky Mount — A man convicted of killing a teen who robbed his roadside stand last year was released on bond Friday pending an appeal.
Investigators said Manny Harris, 16, tried to steal a cash box from a vegetable stand when owner Joshua Moore fired one shot, striking the teen in the chest. Harris died, and he was not armed, officials said.
The two families gathered inside the courtroom Friday where a judge agreed to free 66-year-old Moore on bond. It was an emotional moment for both families.
“I’m happy, just as happy as I can be,” said Carol Moore, Joshua Moore’s wife.
“He don’t need a bond. He needs to rot in jail,” said Dorothy Boddie, Harris’ grandmother. “My grandson is dead at 15, 16 years old, and [Moore’s] still walking around.”
Carol Moore was also at the produce stand that day. She said her husband fired in self-defense.
“At that point, yes, I thought it was necessary, because [my husband] didn’t know what he had either,” Carol Moore said. “When [my husband] told him to back off, he came back.”
In October, a jury convicted Moore of voluntary manslaughter. He was sentenced to more than five years in prison. Moore's attorneys filed an appeal, and Judge Frank Brown set a $75,000 bond allowing him to go home until the next hearing.
The assistant district attorney argued that Moore had a previous record and should serve his sentence. Moore's supporters said the punishment is too tough, given the circumstances.
Moore's family claims several jurors called them after the trial, upset that he got prison time and not probation. It could take months for the court of appeals to hear the case.