Local News

Fire Survivor: Jumping Was 'Only Option'

Posted October 30, 2007
Updated October 31, 2007

— A student who survived a beach house inferno by leaping from a third-story window said Tuesday he wasn't sure what woke him up, but he had to make the decision to jump quickly because smoke was filling the room.

Tripp Wylie, a student at the University of South Carolina, said he heard crackling and popping after he awoke Sunday, then opened the bedroom door, letting smoke in.

He went to the window and saw flames coming from the front of the house and a canal underneath it. As it became harder to breathe, he stuck his head outside.

"You knew you had to jump at some point; that was the only option," he told ABC's "Good Morning America." He said jumping was his only option and that he made "a very lucky jump," clearing a concrete bank around the canal to reach safety.

His friends weren't as lucky. Seven of them died in the fire at the Ocean Isle Beach, vacation house, and five others were injured escaping it.

"Nightmare – that's really the only word you can use for something like this," he told CBS's "The Early Morning Show."

The victims included an aspiring attorney, a high school homecoming queen, fraternity men and sorority women. They were ardent football fans, out for a good time at the beach.

Six of those killed attended the University of South Carolina. A seventh went to Clemson University. Officials have said many were members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and Delta Delta Delta sorority – and some had gone to high school together in Greenville.

"There are no words to describe what we've been going through," Chip Auman – whose family owns the vacation house – said while visiting his hospitalized daughter. "We are living a nightmare."

Randy Thompson, the director of emergency services in Brunswick County, said Tuesday that local officials hope to receive an initial report from state investigators on Friday. Officials in Ocean Isle Beach have said they don't expect any news on a possible cause until reviewing that and other initial reports.

Mayor Debbie Smith said Monday investigators believe the fire was likely accidental and started in the rear of the house, either on or near a deck facing a canal. That side of the home appeared to be the most heavily damaged. Most of the victims were found in the home's five bedrooms. (Read more about what firefighters saw while at the scene.)

"It's an awful loss for someone that had a pretty good future in front of her," Terry Walden said of his daughter, Allison, from his Ohio home. "It sounded like they were having a good time. Unfortunately, the fire didn't show any mercy."

Investigators quizzed dozens of college students who filled several homes near the site of the disaster.

Rebecca Wood, the president of the Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, said police wanted to know if the college students were using a grill or small outdoor fireplace. She told investigators all the grilling was done far from the house.

Police in the beachfront community, which has only about 500 full-time residents, are working with the State Bureau of Investigation and federal officials. Autopsies will take place at the state medical examiner's office in Chapel Hill.

"It may be a few days," spokeswoman Sharon Artis said. "We have not identified any of them yet."

Family, Friends Remember the Victims

Condolences have been flooding into the Columbia school of 27,000 students, and officials urged them to support each other.

"Please reach out to one another, don't let others suffer in silence," school president Andrew Sorensen told a nighttime gathering of about 1,000 students.

About 90 miles from Columbia in Simpsonville, more than 100 people gathered at an elementary school to pray for the victims.

Late Tuesday afternoon, authorities officially identified those killed in the fire: Cassidy Fae Pendley, 18; Lauren Astrid Kristiana Mahon, 18; Justin Michael Anderson, 19; Travis Lane Cale, 19; Allison Walden, 18; William Rhea, 18 – all students at the University of South Carolina. Emily Lauren Yelton, 18, was a student at Clemson.

Anna Lee Rhea said her brother, William, was a huge fan of South Carolina's Gamecocks. Her older brother, Andrew, made it out of the house alive.

"Everybody loved him. Everybody really misses him," she told The Associated Press in a brief telephone interview from the family's home in Florence. "You couldn't help but love him."

Amanda Palacio, who went to high school with Mahon, a freshman, in Simpsonville, described her best friend as someone who talked fast and was always on the go. "She was a great girl. She still is," Palacio said.

Mahon and Palacio were born just three days apart and Palacio said they were looking forward to celebrating their 19th birthday party together in the spring.

"She was always on the go with something new, saying, 'Let's do this, OK, let's do this,'" Palacio said. "Very spontaneous. Just laid-back. Not a care in the world. Just had it all together."

Mahon had plans to work in real estate law one day, Palacio said.

Pendley was a freshman at the University of South Carolina who played soccer and was a cheerleader at Fort Dorchester High School near Charleston, her boyfriend told WCSC-TV on Monday.

Reid McCollum, quarterback for the rival Summerville high school, met Pendley two years ago when she was junior homecoming queen.

"A lot of people tried to put that in between us but we knew that we both loved each other. We just clicked and just enjoyed spending time with each other," said McCollum, who planned to follow her to the school.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • PeaceOut2017 Oct 31, 2007

    jumping beats being burnt alive. Good for him!

  • wine_girl Oct 30, 2007

    honestly, what does it matter WHAT the cause was...
    it's a horrible tragedy... regardless.

    peace be with them

  • NC BEACH LOVER Oct 30, 2007

    Thank goodness that he was able to make it out alive. I'm sorry for the family and friends of those that were injured and died. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

  • owlady Oct 30, 2007

    He was sooo lucky. Did he have his own room? ( No mention of anyone else in his room.)
    13 in the house with 5 bedrooms. ... Too bad more could not escape with him.
    My heart goes out to the students that lost their lives and their families.

  • Fuquay Resident Oct 30, 2007

    This house did have working smoke detectors, it has been mentioned in several previous news stories. The National Electrical Code REQUIRES that all new home have interconnected AC smoke detectors with battery backup in each bedroom and in the hallway outside any sleeping quarters. If smoke was detected in the living room or any bedroom, all of the smoke detectors would have gone off. I think one of the witnesses even said they heard the smoke detectors going off. I think alcohol probably played a part in them not being notified.

  • ladyblue Oct 30, 2007

    What a horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out the whole community who must be dealt a blow by this fire. May all the victims and survivors and their family find strength through this

  • rlewis Oct 30, 2007

    This story really hits me. Maybe it's because I was their age not too long ago, and I can remember going with friends to the beach on more than a few occassions.

    In regards to the underage drinking comments and that possibility, that's pretty likely in my opinion--and maybe that did contribute to the accident. However, I have a hard time understanding the randomness/chance aspect of tragedies like this... because i'm guilty of all of the above (and then some) and I'm still around to tell about it.

    My heart goes out to everyone close to this situation. As it was said in another reply, we need to remember that life isn't guaranteed.

  • 2assume Oct 30, 2007

    As a mother of three daughters, I just can't even imagine. My prayers are with all the families and friends.

  • OOOFFFF Oct 30, 2007

    My friends and I rent a 5-6 bedroom beach house a couple times a year and I can see how easy it would be to get trapped in a structure fire there. Half the bedrooms have to be accessed by going through other bedrooms and the windows are usually sealed shut by layers of paint...not to mention how impossible it would be to wake up after passing out on a beach trip. This is an awful tragedy and my heart goes out to the families, classmates, roommates, and friends of those students who didnt make it out.

  • misslisa200723 Oct 30, 2007

    This is a very tragic story. Reading it brings a lot of emotion out of a person because you feel for all involved and everyone that has suffered a loss. You are never promised how long you will live, and situations like these really affect someone because they start to realize that you can't put time on ANYONES life.... All the families are in our prayers God Bless all the families.