Local News

Electrical Short to Blame for Raleigh Apartment Fire

Posted September 17, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— An electrical short was to blame for an apartment fire that destroyed nine units and displaced several residents Sunday night, fire officials said Monday.

The fire started in a storage closet in the back of one of the apartment buildings at Wild Woods of Lake Johnson on Trillium Circle.

Firefighters were called to the scene at about 10:40 p.m. Sunday, where they found the flames contained to the one building as a breezeway served as a fire break. No injuries were reported.

“The sky was lit up orange,” said witness Brian Shevack. “You heard the engines rolling and rolling and rolling.”

Rion Holland said he and other residents tried to put the flames down with extinguishers, but it was no use.

"The fire extinguisher didn't really do anything to it," he said. "At that point, it was try and grab everything you can and get out."

“When our units arrived, the fire had traveled rapidly through the building,” said Tommie Styons, assistant chief of the Raleigh Fire Department.

The Red Cross assisted residents displaced by the fire.

30 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • mrduffin Sep 17, 2007

    A lot of buildings that age are wired with alumimum wiring. This increases the chance of a fire when compared with copper wiring. Another guess...

  • YipesStripes Sep 17, 2007

    I haven't seen anything, but hopefully someone will get something posted - maybe the Red Cross? - and we can start dropping off supplies somewhere.

  • aquamama Sep 17, 2007

    It's really awful to have all your belongings go up in flames. Does anyone know what the residents need, or where we could give something?

  • YipesStripes Sep 17, 2007

    One of the roachzillas that also live there started the fire using matches or a lighter left on a screened-in porch. The roaches wish to reclaim their motherland.

  • dougdeep Sep 17, 2007

    I wasn't blaming a resident, I was saying it was suspect.

  • smitty Sep 17, 2007

    If you live in an apartment, get renters' insurance. It's very cheap and will pay to put you up in a hotel until you find a new home if your building burns down.

  • Sunne Sep 17, 2007

    The story has been updated; an electrical short was the cause of the fire.

  • Steve Crisp Sep 17, 2007

    I used to have some friends that lived out there and it is a really nice place as far as complexes go. There was only one problem I saw and I saw it again last night. The access to the complex off Jones Franklin Road is way too narrow. We went to check things out and notices that only one emergency vehicle could get into the complex at a time. If something were coming out, nothing could get in. And the interior roads in the complex are not much wider. they looked like they were having a time maneuvering equipment around because of the narrowness of the place.

  • Sunne Sep 17, 2007

    "The fire started in a storage closet, that's suspect to the renter."

    Not necessarily; it could have been an electrical problem. Let's not start blaming the residents before we know the real cause of the fire.

  • sgt_nc Sep 17, 2007

    I'm with Pat and Chad. I lived there for 5 years. The management of Wildwoods takes its residents very seriously.

More...