Military IDs Bragg Paratroopers Killed in Iraq
Posted September 13, 2007
Fort Bragg, N.C. — Military officials have identified seven paratroopers who died early Monday when their vehicle crashed in Iraq.
Fort Bragg spokesman Maj. Tom Earnhardt said the troops were returning from a raid in Baghdad when their five-ton FMTV veered off an elevated highway and plunged about 33 feet to the ground below.
The soldiers who died in the accident were:
- Pfc. Ari D Brown-Weeks, 23, of Abingdon, Md.
- Pfc. Steven Elrod, 20, of Hope Mills, N.C.
- Staff Sgt. Yance Gray, 26, of Ismay, Mont.
- Sgt. Michael C. Hardegree, 21, of Villa Rica, Ga.
- Sgt. Omar Mora, 28, of Texas City, Texas
- Sgt. Nicolas Patterson, 24, of Rochester, Ind.
- Staff Sgt. Gregory Rivera-Santiago, 26, of St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Military officials said they believe the vehicle blew a tire and was not the target of an attack. The soldiers were members of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, also known as Falcon Brigade.