Local News

Hepatitis Scare Hits Cary Restaurant

Posted August 20, 1997

— If you dined at the Ragazzi's on Cary Towne Boulevard between July 28th and August 15th, you might have been exposed to hepatitis "A." A cook at the Italian eatery contracted the disease, and he may have transmitted it because he failed to wash his hands.

Hepatitis is transmitted from hand to mouth, usually through infected water or infected food. Had the worker followed good sanitary techniques, there might not be a scare.

Proper hand washing includes using anti-bacterial soap and washing and scrubbing thoroughly up to the elbows, if handling food for others to consume.

Symptoms of hepatitis include sudden fever, weakness, loss of appetite, nausea, and abdominal discomfort.

If you ate at the Cary Towne Boulevard Ragazzi's between July 28th and August 15th, you may have been exposed to the disease. You should call the Wake County Health Department immediately at (919)250-4500. A serum could prevent you from becoming sick.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all