Local News

Smoke Detector Saves Lives of Cary Family

Posted June 5, 1997
Updated October 25, 2006

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A Cary family will spend the day sifting through their belongings looking for anything not destroyed by an early morning fire. They say a smoke detector saved their lives.

Fire broke out just before 2:30 a.m. in their home on Swan Quarter Drive in the Park Village subdivision just before 2:30 am. Firefighters from Cary, Raleigh and Wake Country responded to the call.

Fire investigators say the fire started in the garage. The family's bedrooms are located above the garage, and they say their loud smoke detector alerted them to the flames and got them out of the house.

The garage, two cars and a couple of bedrooms were destroyed. Investigators don't know yet what started the fire.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all