Local News

Four Burned in Harnet t Movibile Home Fire

Posted April 10, 1997

— A propane heater may have been the cause of an explosion that sent four Harnett County residents to the hospital.

Relatives told investigators that David Lewis McLain was changing the propane tank on a gas heater Thursday when the explosion occurred. The resulting fire caught McClain, his friend Rufus Moore and McLain's two grandchildren.

The children's father was at their home next door when he heard the children screaming. Angelica, 7, and Thomas, 9, then ran into his house, yelling for help for their burns.

The blaze destroyed the mobile home, situated off Mount Olive Church Road in southwest Harnett County.

The children are at the UNC Burn Center, and the two men are being treated at Central Carolina Hospital in Sanford. The victims received second-degree burns.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all