Violent Weekend in Wilson
Posted April 7, 1997
WILSON — Cities and towns that once seemed immune to big-city crime are now realizing that they aren't. For the third time in just 48 hours -- and the fourth time in less than a month -- gunfire led to death in Wilson.
The latest killing occurred Monday morning about 2:30 at Carver Mobile Home Park.
Killed was Allen Lamont Grant, 29, of Faversham Place in Raleigh.
William Edwards told WRAL-TV5'sBrian Bowman that a group of men were playing cards in his trailer when two men Edwards had never seen before burst in and started yelling and firing.
Edwards speculates the intruders wanted cash stakes from his card game.
Edwards said the gunfire exchange lasted a few seconds, then one of the intruders ran from the trailer and fell to the ground where he later died from a gunshot wound in the chest.
Patricia Batts was in bed when the shooting began, but she said she woke up in time to see the two men run through her bedroom.
No arrests have been made in the case.
Police believe two deaths that resulted from another shooting incident Saturday night were the result of a domestic dispute. A suspect has been taken into custody in connection with that shooting. A strangling death on East Vance Street earlier this month and the Monday shooting both remain unsolved crimes.
Wilson police say they haven't seen this many murders so close together in many years, but they insist random violence is the cause.
Grant is the fourth homicide victim since March 11.