Raleigh Tries to Clean Up Violent Neighborhood
Posted April 2, 1997
RALEIGH — The City of Raleigh is stepping in to clean up one of its most crime-ridden neighborhoods. It is the same neighborhood where a child was seriously wounded in a drive-by shooting last month.
Wednesday night, city council approved $250,000 to buy property in the area around the Carver Street house where the shooting incident occurred, as part of a community redevelopment program. It is unclear exactly which properties are being purchased, although council members say it is approximately half of one block.
Area resident Angela Pope said the shooting is still on the minds of residents.
Raleigh Mayor Tom Fetzer said the incident has raised concerns within city government as well.
Resident Chris Herman is pessimistic. He thinks it will only be a matter of time before the neighborhood deteriorates again. Pope says the city's helping hand probably won't help much.
Carver Street resident James Giles says he thinks the city's plan falls short.
The money set aside by city council came from a combination of federal grant funds and money already in the redevelopment plan.
Residents say they are anxious to see which properties will be selected for renovation.