Drive-By Shooting Victim in New Home
Posted March 21, 1997
RALEIGH — A 4-year-old boy who was wounded in a drive-by shooting in Raleigh is now in a new home, thanks to Raleigh church leaders and concerned citizens.
Supporters pitched in to pay for moving the family to a safer neighborhood after the child said he was scared to go home from the hospital. The good deed evolved out of a very bad experience. Jermaine was shot as he played on the front porch of his Carver Street home last month.
Jermaine is recovering from his wounds and his family feels they are headed for a better life, but there are many children left behind in their old neighborhood who remain in danger. Every day, these children walk around and play in an area known for drugs, violence and prostitution. One young man told WRAL-TV5'sMark Roberts that it is often scary.
Yvonne Lee lives in the Carver Street area. She says most people simply can't afford to move away.
Lee takes care of her grandson around the corner from where Jermaine was shot. She's happy for Jermaine, but sad about the future of the neighborhood.
Friday, Jermaine Huggins and his family moved out of the crime-ridden neighborhood they once called home