Local News

Burned Home Last in Series of Troubles

Posted February 6, 1997

— Leroy and Katherine Morrison seem to be suffering one tragedy after another. Several weeks ago, Mrs. Morrison suffered a stroke which left her partially paralyzed. She returned home to continue recovery Wednesday night, but that's when her home burned to the ground.

While losing a home can be one of life's most tragic experiences, Leroy Morrison has been able to find peace in the rubble. He says he did everything he could to get his wife and sister-in-law out of the burning house.

When he first discovered the fire, he attempted to douse it with a garden hose. Realizing it was too late for that, he rushed back in to save his partially paralyzed wife and her sister. Both suffered burns.

Hoke County Fire Marshal Mitchell Byrd says they were lucky to have gotten out at all with no smoke detector in the mobile home.

The home is a total loss and the Morrisons had no insurance, but family and friends showed up to offer support. Morrison's nephew Nathaniel Watkins says it looks like it will be a long time before they recover.

Leroy Morrison says things aren't as bad as they could be. He says he's happy he still has a wife and sister-in-law to share the stories with.

Katherine Morrison and her sister, Lee Baxter, are still being treated at Moore Regional Hosiptal for first- and second-degree burns. The American Red Cross is trying to find the family a temporary place to stay and some new clothes.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all