Local News

Bleach Delivery Sparks Fire

Posted January 28, 1997

— A routine delivery of bleach solution for pool cleaning led to a fire and evacuation of the Cary Family YMCA Monday night. No one was injured.

Investigators say the fire was ignited when a generator in the back of the delivery truck ignited a box of toilet paper.

Officials evacuated the YMCA after tanks on a truck in the parking lot burst into flame. Raleigh's hazardous materials team was also called in, just to be safe.

It was been determined that no harm was done to the environment.

The 15 percent bleach solution is used by the YMCA to treat its swimming pool water. The material is transported in large plastic tanks.

The fire broke out about 9 p.m., and was out by 10.

The YMCA is just off Cary Parkway, at 101 YMCA Drive.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all