Local News

Fire Leaves Family Homeless in Orange County

Posted November 28, 1996

— An Orange County family is without a home this Thanksgiving, but they are grateful for the help from friends, neighbors and the Red Cross.

Vic and Ruth Bennett's house burned Wednesday night, along with most of their belongings.

Firefighters say the fire started in the laundry room of the house near old N.C. 10. The Bennetts, their two children, and Ruth's mother were in the home at the time.

"You never think of what you have around your house day to day, and then it's all gone," Vic Bennett said.

Firefighters say the family is lucky to be alive. They also say the family rents the house and has no insurance to replace their clothes or other belongings.

The Orange County Red Cross booked a motel room, arranged for a Thanksgiving dinner and even picked up replacement prescription drugs for ones lost in the fire.

"I don't know how anyone in this situation can be without the Red Cross," said Ruth Bennett.

You can help by sending a donation to "Give Thanks Relief Fund," P.O. Box 16003, Chapel Hill, NC 27516. Make checks payable to the Orange County Firefighters Association.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all