Local News

Food Lion Trial Expected to Go to Jury Tonight

Posted October 11, 1996

— After several weeks of testimony, the end of the ongoing Food Lion trial saga is finally near, but not quite yet. Closing arguments went on late into Friday afternoon in the trial of the second man accused in the double murder and robbery.

The jury will take the weekend off and begin deliberating the fate of Robert McNeil (pictured at left) Mondayday. McNeil's brother is already on death row for his part in the crime.

It has been three years since John Ray and Mike Truelove were found shot to death in the Food Lion supermarket at Six Forks and Strickland Roads in Raleigh.

Friday, McNeil passed on the opportunity to testify in his own defense and told Judge Donald Stephans (pictured below, right) he had already said all he had to say.

Ray's widow Chris Ray (pictured at left) was the last witness to take the stand. She wept as she testified that the doors to the store were locked when she arrived to take her husband home in September of 1993.

Prosecutor Evelynn Hill (pictured at right) opened proceedings today with her closing argument. She emphasized that the victims never had a day in court.

A typed confession by an unidentified person was presented in court Thursday. Judge Stephans said he didn't want to consider, at that time, what he considered a well-timed hoax.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all