Local News

Meredith Students Looking for NewHomes

Posted September 17, 1996

— Some students displaced by Tuesday's fire in Meredith College's Heilman dormitory are looking for new places to live, while some with rooms on the first and third floors were allowed to return.

Fire officials say the second-floor fire that was caused by an electrical problem which short-circuited some fire alarms, although battery-powered smoke alarms did work. That alerted two students who then went door-to-door to get everyone out.

The school has set up a command center to help studetns find replacement housing.

Student Tricia Munns said the fire created a rude awakening.

No one was injured in the fire. School officials say that's because the school regularly conducts fire training and drills.

Raleigh Fire Chief J.B. Sandy says students did a good job of evacuating the building.

Meredith officials say it may be a month before the second floor is habitable again.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all