Local News

Emergency Rooms Busy as Storm Clean-up Continues

Posted September 9, 1996

— Officials at Duke and UNC Hospitals say they are seeing an increase in both carbon monoxide poisoning and flesh wounds in the aftermath of Hurricane Fran.

The carbon monoxide emergencies have, for the most part, been brought on by patients standing too close to gas-powered generators, which exude the poisonous gas.

The experts say if you are using a generator, make sure you place it outdoors in an open area. Never use it inside the house or in a closed garage. The fumes can be deadly.

The cuts are usually related to use of chain-saws and other cutting tools, which are being handled by many who are not experienced at using them.

Dr. Arthur Tascone, an emergency room physician, says there are also some pretty unusual conditions in the e.r. these days.

Then there are the falls from high places like roofs and ladders. Jeffrey Rowe visited a doctor's office Monday for treatment of a sprain.

Dr. Tascone says they are also seeing patients who have stepped in ant beds or stirred up beehives or nests of other stinging insects.

Scott Adams was stung all over his body.

Most people can successfully treat stings with a cold compress, but it you are allergic, emergency treatment should be sought immediately, according to Dr. Tascone.

While much in the Triangle is out-of-order, most medical facilities are running at full speed, though UNC Hospitals, on the Chapel Hill water system, is still experiencing some water problems.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all