SAS Employee Dies Of Bacterial Meningitis
Posted April 7, 2006
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. — Officials say an SAS employee died from a rare form of bacterial meningitis.
Vishal Nayar died Friday morning. He worked in the SAS finance division.
The state health department say that they have worked with SAS to make sure everyone who came in contact with the man has been notified and treated. They also informed household contacts and made sure they had the proper treatment. Officials say they do not believe anyone whom they have not contacted has any significant risk of contracting meningitis.
Bacterial meningitis is rare, but can be spread through bodily fluids. However, according to officials, Nayar contracted a rare form that is only passed on through significant exposure.
Anyone with concerns should talk to the medical officials at SAS, rather than calling the health department.
SAS says they are not worried about the spread of this rare strain of bacterial meningitis.