Local News

Mold Found In School Causes Child To Get Sick

Posted June 13, 2001

— Several Wake County schools are getting a health makeover this summer. A leaky roof at Martin Middle School created moisture problems inside, but the Chipley family had no idea what was going on when their child kept getting sick.

Sealy got sick at school every day with puffy eyes, clogged sinuses and migraine headaches. She had to stay at home the last month of school.

"She came home one day and said, 'Mom, there's mold and mildew growing on the ceiling tiles at school. They're taking all the ceiling tiles down,'" says Loy Chipley, Sealy's mother.

It turned out Sealy was allergic to mold. The school is getting a new roof and ceiling, which should help. It is one of 96 schools getting upgrades with bond money.

Comments

Please to add a comment.

Oldest First
View all