Local News

2 Men Found Unconscious in Raleigh Tire Store

Posted July 1, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Two men were hospitalized after a tire-store worker and his son found them unconscious inside the business Saturday night.

Hunter Crowder said he and his father, Brent Crowder, had stopped by Atlantic Tire Service about 10 p.m. to pick up a car on which Brent planned to work over the weekend. They noticed that a cleaning crew was at the building, but something seemed odd, the younger Crowder said Sunday.

The Crowders looked around and found two members of a cleaning crew on the floor, Hunter said.

Brent Crowder, who works at Atlantic, and Hunter, 16, called 911, then pulled the men outside, Hunter said. Hunter, who said he has taken emergency medical training with the Eastern Wake EMS, began first aid.

The workers were cleaning the store at 2131 Harrod St. and were using propane, officials said.

Raleigh firefighters ordered their hazardous materials squad to the scene.

Police and firefighters both said Sunday morning that they were unable to provide the men's names. Their conditions at the hospital were unknown.

32 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • sheablue22 Jul 2, 2007

    Thank GOD for small miracles...

  • angora Jul 2, 2007

    Those guys are very, very lucky. Wow. Gives me chills.

  • jeebk04 Jul 2, 2007

    Brent, kudos to you and your children!!! God Bless!

  • Dick Jul 2, 2007

    It was a floor buffer. This happened a while back somewhere else (forget where) and the workers died.

  • Joy4u2 Jul 2, 2007

    don't get it someone does a great thing or even goes as far to save live's, and somebody has to bash them about grammer, get a grip people. This is a great outcome ,that could have gone very bad if it had not been for Hunter and Brent. Great work guys.

  • O-Get-A-Grip Jul 2, 2007

    What do clean w/ propane? The only thing I can think off is floor buffer or something that was putting out too much exhaust and a serious lack of ventilation.

  • alwaysCool Jul 2, 2007

    Way to go!!! Good Job!!! for once a nice story in a long time. Glad that these 2 people showed up when they did.

  • TB in Raleigh Jul 2, 2007

    Brent,
    Don't worry about the grammar police--they have the time to double-check things before posting. I hope your children are as proud of you for raising them well. Kudos to you all!

  • student Jul 2, 2007

    I AM LOGGED ON AT WORK UNDER MY SONS WRAL ACCOUNT
    TYPING WHILE TRYING TO WORK SORRY ABOUT TYPE-O
    BUT YOU WOULD THINK YOU HAD BETTER THINGS TO DO BUT BASH ON ME!!!!!!BRENT

  • Mtn Man Jul 2, 2007

    "student" needs to add a grammar class to his transcript.

More...