Local News

Congressman Renews Request for Federal Nifong Probe

Posted June 21, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A U.S. congressman from North Carolina has renewed his call for a federal investigation into disbarred District Attorney Mike Nifong and the way he handled the Duke lacrosse case.

In a letter Wednesday to U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, 3rd District Rep. Walter B. Jones, called Nifong’s conduct an “illegal abuse of authority” and said it “cries out for federal oversight.”

Jones, a Republican, initially requested the U.S. Department of Justice to review the case in December.

But the Justice Department declined to intervene, saying it was more appropriate to allow the case to play out and that it would be “premature to initiate a federal investigation" because the case was still active at the time. Federal attorneys also noted that Nifong already faced ethics charges from the North Carolina State Bar.

“Now that the North Carolina State Bar has concluded its review of Mr. Nifong’s activities and determined that (he) engaged in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation, the Justice Department has no reason not to investigate the substantial legal evidence suggesting Mr. Nifong violated these young men's civil rights, permanently damaging their reputations,” Jones wrote. “I strongly encourage you to take action in this case.”

All charges against the three players -- David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann -- were dismissed in April when North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said there was no credible evidence to show they assaulted Crystal Mangum, an exotic dancer, at a lacrosse team party in March 2006.

Last week, a disciplinary committee for the North Carolina State Bar disbarred Nifong after finding he violated a number of ethics rules, which included making prejudicial statements to the media about the case, withholding potentially exculpatory evidence and making false statements to the court.

Nifong, who announced his intent to resign July 13, has since been suspended and could face criminal sanctions and civil lawsuits from the former defendants.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • cinnamon Jun 21, 2007

    You have his law license and his job...what else do you want, his first born??? Life will go on for those boys...give it a rest already!!!!

  • ladyblue Jun 21, 2007

    Know all I agree with the others you always know it all trust you. Evidentally you think it's cute so keep on, reminds me when my kid tried to aggravate me but it doesn't work. If you don't want to hear anymore abaout Nifong just don't open up the site, that is true for everyone.

  • Know All Jun 21, 2007

    I wish those who keep this story would go away. This is the most ridiculous on going story that will not go away until another breaking story comes out in the Durham/Raleigh area. Heck, I thought the Anna Smith/Paris Hilton would never leave but at least it was entertaining. This is a man's life, which he has ruined himself. Leave it alone for the best of all. Trust me. "I know."

  • obie Jun 21, 2007

    While I agree that the entire situation was deplorable I think it is time to move forward. It has been investigated and he has lost his license. I believe that officials going on the attack are just doing it to make themselves look good. The FBI is always called in to investigate bank robberies and kidnapping. However, this mess is North Carolina's mess we certainly don't mind putting criminals in jail that are not.
    from here. Nifong is certainly not the first DA to get too involved in a case and while I believe he was wrong I don't feel he was did what he did for any other reason than he thought he was right. He misjudged the situation and unfortunately that fraternity had been in trouble before and that probably clouded his judgment.

    As it should be - time will pass and this episode will be just a painful blip in their past.

  • hank5049 Jun 21, 2007

    know all

    please go away

  • Know All Jun 21, 2007

    Rev. RB
    You really have alot of time on your hands. Maybe you can come up with another story and forget about this "mess." Go to WWAY-TV 3 and see what the Sheriff of Brunswick County has gotten himself in to. This is a scandle. Trust me. "I know."

  • Dr Holliday Jun 21, 2007

    Wait and see.

  • Ekeoutalivin Jun 21, 2007

    Doesn't matter where the players were from. State charges, State matter....

  • Dr Holliday Jun 21, 2007

    Since the lacrosse players are not NC citizens this makes it Federal.

  • Doodlebug Jun 21, 2007

    I agree. A Federal investigation should be done and every case
    that Nifong has worked on needs to be reviewed.