Local News

Gas Explosion At School Sends Worker To Hospital

Posted June 30, 2000

— A maintenance worker is in the hospital after an explosion outside a Wake County school.

A roofing crew was working at East Garner Middle School Saturday afternoon. One of the crew members was using a fork lift to move a gas tank that was firing an asphalt kettle.

Authorities say a gas line got loose, and when it hit the kettle, it ignited a fireball that burned the worker.

"We heard an explosion, a big tornado of flames," said J.J. Myatt, who witnessed the fire. "I called 911 and told them to get here quickly because I didn't know what would happen."

The worker was sent to Western Wake Medical Center with first and second degree burns to the hands, face, and arms. His injuries are not life-threatening.

The fire was put out quickly. There was no damage to the school. -->

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all