Search for Missing Durham Man Suspended Due to Weather
Posted May 27, 2000
DURHAM — Sunday night's rain forced dozens of Durham officers to suspend a search for a missing man.
Alton Carson, 95, was last seen around 10 a.m. Sunday at the Hardee's on Miami Boulevard.
Around 2 p.m, Durham police got a call about a suspicious car on Barnes Avenue. That is when investigators found a large amount of blood in Carson's grey Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra.
"Right now we have him listed as a missing person. We are treating it as suspicious because of the amount of blood found at the scene," says Lt. Ed Sarvis of theDurham Police Department.
Witnesses described a man they say they saw near the car.
Officers spent much of Sunday evening combing a five-mile area.
"It was enough blood to cause concern and that we need to find him quickly," says Sarvis. "We have notified area hospitals that we are looking for him; we've begun canine tracks starting at the car, all of which have been unsuccessful so far. But we will continue until we find someone."
Officers had to suspend their search about 8:30 p.m. due to the bad weather. They plan to resume their search on Monday.
Anyone who may have seen Carson or has information about his disappearance is urged to call the Durham Police Department at919-560-4322. -->