Local News

Fumes Force Students To Evacuate From School For Second Time

Posted May 10, 2000

— Students at a Cumberland County school had to leave classes Thursday after a smoky smell made one student sick.

The odor atMac Williams Middle Schoolcame from crews who were soldering a pipe on an air conditioning unit. School leaders say they made the children leave as a precaution because of what happened last fall.

In November, dozens of studentsgot sick from fumesthat came from a concrete sealant.

"We just evacuated to be safe and asked questions later," says school principal Ernest L. Freeman Jr.

Firefighters tested the air level and found no problems. Students returned to the building in about 30 minutes.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all