Local News

Wayne grandmother dies from injuries in house fire

Posted May 8, 2007
Updated May 7, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A second victim died Tuesday morning from injuries sustained in a house fire a day earlier.

When firefighters responded to the blaze Monday morning at 1884 Memorial Church Road, they found Mayola Waddell, 77, and her granddaughter, Shannon Minshew, 36, inside the residence.

Authorities said Minshew called 911 to report the fire, but she died Monday trying to save her bed-ridden grandmother. Waddell was taken to a hospital, where she died.

Friends and family members, who gathered at the burned-out residence, said they wanted everyone to know that Minshew was a hero.

"She gave her life to somebody else. It's the most selfless act anyone could ever do," said Lauren Vick, Minshew's friend.

Investigators said the fire appeared to have been accidental. They said it started in a clothes dryer near the back of the house and quickly spread.

6 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Juliett May 8, 2007

    So horrible, Shannon was a hero trying to save her grandmother. God bless them and their family thru this terrible time.

  • JustDontUnderstandPpl May 8, 2007

    God bless and comfort the family.

  • pink lady May 8, 2007

    so sad...God Bless...

  • spiritwarriorwoman May 8, 2007

    painexpress - "To lay your life down for another, Jesus please have mercy on her soul."

    AMEN, AND AMEN!!!

    God bless.

    Rev. RB

  • painexpress May 8, 2007

    To lay your life down for another, Jesus please have mercy on her soul.

  • wildatheart99 May 8, 2007

    BE A PEACE. GOD BLESS YOU BOTH