Local News

19 Homeless After Fayetteville Apartment Fire

Posted January 4, 2001

— Investigators say an overloaded surge protector sparked an apartment fire in Fayetteville Friday morning.

Crews were called out to the Briarwood Apartments, located off Owen Drive near Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, around 8 a.m.

Firefighters arrived to see heavy smoke and flames. They quickly reduced the blaze, but not before one woman jumped from her second-floor window to escape the fire.

TheAmerican Red Crosssays eight apartments were destroyed and eight more are damaged to the point they are inhabitable.

The organization now has the task of finding shelter for the 19 families left without a home. It says fire victims who need help have some available.

"An apartment complex like this is a step up and above what we normally do on a daily basis, but this is what we prepare for all the time," says Robert Ziegler of the Red Cross.

The Red Cross is accepting donations for the fire victims. Checks can be sent to:American Red CrossP.O. Box 35045Fayetteville, N.C. 28301


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all