Man Charged in Attack on Durham Schoolgirl
Posted May 6, 2007
Durham, N.C. — A Durham man was arrested Sunday on rape, sexual assault and kidnapping charges for an April 5 attack on a girl when she got off her school bus, Durham police said.
They charged Richard Alfonzo Johnson, 35, 6103 Forest Ridge Drive, with first-degree rape, first-degree sexual offense and second-degree kidnapping. He was held in the Durham County Jail under a $1 million bond, police said.
The mother of the girl, whose age police did not disclose, told police then that she thought her daughter had been assaulted, but the girl would not talk about anything.
Police said that the girl did speak with interviewers at UNC Hospitals several weeks later, however, and they contacted Durham detectives. Police then pieced together what they believe happened.
They said a man whom the girl did not know approached her when she got off the bus near Barbee Road. The man grabbed her by the wrist, forced her into a house, assaulted her and threatened her before releasing her, they said.