Local News

Chapel Hill Students, Teacher Injured After Science Experiment Explodes

Posted November 17, 1998

— A Chapel Hill teacher and three students were treated at UNC Hospitals after a science lab experiment went awry.

The accident happened at Culbreth Middle School Wednesday afternoon. School officials say fifth graders were finishing an experiment when a glass beaker sitting over a burner exploded.

All of the injuries were caused by flying glass. Several students in the classroom were not wearing protective eye gear.

The students were treated and released from UNC Hospitals. Their teacher is expected to be released Wednesday evening.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all