Local News

Smoke Detectors Save Man in Kenly Apartment Fire

Posted April 22, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A man escapes his burning apartment early Sunday afternoon after recently installed smoke detectors alerted him to the flames.

Cassie Hinnant told WRAL the detector woke him up as he slept in his favorite chair.

“I woke up and the smoke started coming down, so I said, ‘Time to get out of here,’” he said.

Firefighters from across Johnston County battled the blaze at the Kenly Village apartment complex. The fire destroyed Hinnant’s apartment, but fire crews saved other units in the building from extensive damage.

“We’ve got a huge loss, but it could have been worse,” said apartment manager Veronica Williams.

Hinnant left all his possessions behind in the apartment as he fled the building.

“I’m just going to have to start from the bottom and build myself up again,” he said.

3 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • anonemoose Apr 22, 2007

    Glad that all that was lost was "stuff".

  • runny29840 Apr 22, 2007

    The story doesn't say who installed the detectors. Only that they had been recently installed.

  • rogerlwilliams Apr 22, 2007

    ALL RENTED UNITS MUST HAVE A WORKING SMOKE DETECTOR, PRIOR TO BEING RENTED. WHY DID THE TENANT HAVE TO INSTALL THE SMOKE DETECTOR?