Local News

Nifong's Motion to Dismiss State Bar Charge Denied

Posted April 13, 2007
Updated April 17, 2007

— The North Carolina State Bar's disciplinary committee denied Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong's request to dismiss one of three Bar charges, which alleges he withheld DNA evidence in the Duke lacrosse case.

The decision by the three-member panel came shortly after an hour-long hearing, at which committee chairman F. Lane Williamson repeatedly challenged the arguments made by Nifong's attorneys.

"I just don't see where this gets you on your argument to dismiss," Williamson said.

They argued for nearly an hour, claiming their client provided defense attorneys with a report outlining test results months in a timely manner and gave notice the lab director would be called as an expert witness.

Attorney David Witt argued that the State Bar should clarify its guidelines on the definition of "timely."

"What is the definition of 'timely' that a prosecutor needs to comply with?" Witt said. "If he gets a report in on Aug. 28, does he need to mail it off on Sept. 1?

"I think you have to have some definition out there so that a prosecutor knows what 'timely' is when we're dealing with an issue of an attempt to subject a prosecutor's license to discipline"

State Bar prosecutor Katherine Jean argued for about 10 minutes, saying that if the discovery of the DNA evidence "hadn't come to light through the extraordinary diligent efforts of the defense counsel," the defendants might have pleaded guilty never knowing the DNA evidence was exculpatory.

And for innocent defendants who plead guilty who do not have the means to fight, she said it seemed the defense was arguing "no harm, no foul."

"It's a scary concept," she said.

Nifong has been at the forefront of the criminal investigation against the three former lacrosse players -- David Evans, 24, Reade Seligmann, 21, and Collin Finnerty, 20 -- even after he recused himself from the case in January.

Finnerty's attorney, Wade Smith, said there was no excuse for Nifong withholding the evidence for so many months.

"It's true. They can say, 'Well shucks, we were going to give it to them.' When?" he said. "We say, 'When?'" We needed it. And they waited, as I recall, nine months. And why? What game were they playing?"

Nifong had little to say Friday afternoon as he left the hearing.

"My statement (Thursday) is in really plain language. I think it speaks for itself," a besieged Nifong told reporters. "And I really don't have anything to add to that statement I'm sure you've seen, and I will stand by that statement."

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper, earlier this week, dismissed charges of sexual assault and kidnapping against Evans, Seligmann and Finnerty and declared them innocent.

In a statement issued Thursday, Nifong apologized to the three cleared players, saying he hoped Cooper's actions "will serve to remedy any remaining injury that has resulted" from the case.

In December, the State Bar filed a 17-page complaint in which it cited more than 100 examples of inflammatory public statements Nifong made to the media before the former players were indicted.

Less than a month later, the State Bar amended the complaint, alleging he withheld DNA evidence from defense attorneys -- exculpatory evidence that could show a defendant is not guilty of a crime.

Nifong's attorneys also argued that the defense later requested and received the underlying data from the DNA testing, and also had the opportunity to question the lab director during a December court hearing.

"There were no constitutional or statutorial violations because the material was turned over," David Freedman, one of Nifong's two attorneys, told The Associated Press before Friday's hearing.

After the hearing, Freedman said his client was "clearly disappointed." He called Nifong a good public servant. and said they would continue their fight at trial.

"Mr. Nifong was elected to be the DA of Durham County, and he's served the people of Durham County for 29 years, and he intends to fulfill the duties he was elected to do," Freedman said.

A full trial before the three-member disciplinary panel on all the charges is set for June 12.

Nifong could also face criminal charges as well as civil lawsuits from the three former defendants, although their attorneys have not said whether they plan to do so.

Prosecutors generally have immunity for what they do inside the courtroom, but experts say that protection probably doesn't cover some of Nifong's actions, such as calling the lacrosse players "a bunch of hooligans" in one of several interviews deemed unethical by the State Bar.

130 Comments

Please to add a comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • caffeine4starters Apr 14, 2007

    Regarding future lawsuits by the accused & their families, I would first go after the media that continues to show clips of these players being arrested and in handcuffs as I saw on TV early this morning. The perp walk is over. It would have been over if the Attorney General has said: (1)Case dismissed; or (2)"not guilty" [of crimes charged]; but, instead, of (1) & (2) which are legal grounds for Google, Yahoo, TV, media etc. removing on-going character damaging pictures, the Attorney General also said, (3) "innocent" -- very profound. I was outraged to see these guys in handcuffs again on my TV screen days after the Attorney Generals national comments. I would be after the local media first for damages. They should know better.

  • satt Apr 14, 2007

    first: WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT ON IN THAT HOUSE...SECOND:NIFONG IS NOT THE FIRST TO ATTEMPT TO PROCECUTE THE WRONG ONE/ONES,(HOW MANY AVERAGE JOE BLOWS,BLACK AND WHITE HAVE BEEN FALSLELY JAILED THAT WERE INNOCENT( WE'RE TALKING YEARS),no big to do for most of them..THIRD: THERE WILL ALWAYS BE AN RACE ISSUE FROM ALL TO SOME DEGREE,THATS JUST THE WAY IT IS... SATT

  • Just thinking Apr 14, 2007

    hip-shot. you can't have it both ways. Your wonder why it was made into a racial issue, but then suggest that Nifong needed the black community to get elected.

  • painexpress Apr 14, 2007

    I think Durham reaps what the voters sow.

  • dirtcollarview Apr 14, 2007

    Now that we have that over with, Nifong is the biggest biggot and racist in the whole bunch. He sold out his self, to gain a job, by playing up to an ethnic population. There is hope, I'm sure one of the Rev's has an opening for a lawyer with his talents, because he isn' going to have a job in Durham. For the record I feed sorry for the girl. I think she has been manipulated from the begining. First by who ever she was listening to and then our buddy Nifong and other prominant officials looking for a cause to raise the flag of racism.

  • dirtcollarview Apr 14, 2007

    Maybe if I say Nifong is a nice guy they won't censor me

  • NC to GA Apr 14, 2007

    no Carter... you're still the idiot.

  • thelmasgirl Apr 14, 2007

    I just wonder how long the people of Durham are going to continue paying Nifong's salery. The attorney General hisself as good as called him guilty and he is still in office ,if there is one public leader in Durham who is not crooked then he should step forward and demand that Nifong leave office now. today not next week not next month. All they are doing is playing the good ole boy thing until he can retire and draw more money because he will retire as a DA instead of jUst a plain old citizen . Durham is sick and needs drastic surgery

  • Lizard Paw Apr 14, 2007

    Ho' lied. Not "Holied"

  • Lizard Paw Apr 14, 2007

    Ho'lied, boys' careers died.

    How 'bout that for a bumper sticker?

More...