Recalled Dog Food Probably Killed Two N.C. Dogs, Researchers Say
Posted January 5, 2006
RALEIGH, N.C. — Researchers at the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine say they have found convincing evidence that a recalled dog food killed two dogs brought to the school's animal hospital last week.
Tests show the Diamond pet food consumed by two whippets had a poison level 18 times the legal limit and that the animals had liver damage consistent with that type of poisoning.
The Food and Drug Administration is investigating the contamination.
Seven other North Carolina dog deaths are strongly linked to the recalled food. Nationwide, the 18 varieties of dog and cat food is blamed for 23 deaths.
The bags of food affected in the recall have a "Best By" date of March 1, 2007 through June 10, 2007.