Local News

1 Person Injured, 2 NCSU Buildings Evacuated After Explosion

Posted March 27, 2007
Updated March 28, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Two science buildings at North Carolina State University were briefly evacuated Tuesday and hazmat crews were called to the scene after a battery exploded.

Dr. Alex I. Smirnov, associate professor of chemistry, was transported to WakeMed for treatment of minor injuries. N.C. State campus police responded to 613 Cox Hall at about 3:15 p.m.

Authorities said Smirnov was inserting a small battery into an instrument when the battery caused a minor explosion, campus police Sgt. Jon Barnwell said. The explosion caused acid to hit his face.

Authorities evacuated Cox Hall as a precaution after reports of a strong odor of sulfur, Barnwell said.

Both buildings reopened shortly after 5 p.m. The laboratory where the explosion occurred was still closed.

Neighboring Dabney Hall was also evacuated because it is connected to Cox.

23 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • NCTeacher Mar 28, 2007

    It could also be that because it is a school, they have a policy of evacuating the entire building. I can guarantee you that if they hadn't, SOMEONE would come on here saying how slack they were and how they should have.

  • RPD07 Mar 28, 2007

    It was probably called in to 911 by someone who went overboard. Probably something to the extent of "Hey, um there was an explosion in a lab at State...I think someone is hurt" or something similar.

    So knowing what kind of nasty crap they have in college labs (sulfer, chlorine, ammonia, etc) they wanted to play it safe getting people out. We all know that if it turned out worse and they didn't play it safe, everyone would be raising hell about how poor of a job they did.

  • Steve Crisp Mar 27, 2007

    Hey, a lead-cell battery blew up and threw sulphuric acid all over the place. I am surprised that Hazmat didn't evacuate all of west Raleigh. IT'S A CAR BATTERY!!!!! It's not a keg of plutonium or a vat of chlorine gas. And if you get that acid in your eyes, it can cause some real damage. But evacuating entire buildings? Have people thrown sanity out the window?

  • NCSU Mar 27, 2007

    haha I got to miss my chem class in dabney because of this

  • Say it to my face Mar 27, 2007

    Be gone spelling nazi

  • Myword Mar 27, 2007

    Something ain't kosher with this story.

  • Go_ back_ north Mar 27, 2007

    Learn to spell people!!!

  • Kriterian Mar 27, 2007

    If he wasn't wearing safety goggles in the lab, students will have a new horror story to listen too at the beginning of each semester. I hope he or she was ok though.

  • no screen name Mar 27, 2007

    Lets all pray for the battery.

    God Bless Rev da bubba :)

  • Corvette Sales Mar 27, 2007

    spritwarriorwoman, are you human? Do you do no wrong? You comment on everything and seem to judge everyone. I hope you are not better than everyone else. I hope you are a Christian and forgive people when they may make a mistake.

More...