Local News

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Death Scares Neighbors

Posted March 23, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Residents of a Holly Springs townhouse complex said Friday they feel lucky to be alive after an 81-year-old neighbor died Thursday from an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Edward Bartlett, of 185 Lumina Place, was found dead inside his home. Police said he apparently pulled his minivan into his attached garage late Wednesday and left the engine running overnight.

Mark Pallone, who lives in an adjoining townhouse, said he felt nauseated Thursday morning, and his daughter fainted at the bottom of the staircase. He called the gas company, and a technician quickly discovered the problem.

"He puts a meter in the house, and the levels of carbon monoxide are reading at 250 (parts per million)," Pallone said.

Health experts said a carbon monoxide level of about 200 ppm is enough to make people sick.

Pallone said the CO meter registered higher readings upstairs in his townhouse and in his garage. By that time, they decided to check his neighbor's house.

"The gas guy put the probe under the garage door in the house next door, and the numbers were just off the charts, like 4,500 (ppm)," he said.

Bartlett's car had been running long enough to run out of gas, police said.

The Pallones said Bartlett had a hearing problem, which might have led him to believe the engine was off when he parked the minivan.

Pallone and his daughter were treated at WakeMed Cary for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and were released.

Carbon monoxide is the most common type of poisoning in the U.S. Estimates suggest it kills 2,100 people every year and sickens another 10,000. Symptoms include dizziness, nausea, confusion and headaches.

"The one thing I think I'm really disappointed in is that I never had carbon monoxide detectors," Pallone said, noting he bought some for his home Friday.

"I know four of the townhomes had high levels of carbon monoxide. Had circumstances been different, there could have been five people dead," he said.

7 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • valleyind Mar 26, 7:11 p.m.

    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but a carbon monoxide protector might not have worked here. The guy didn't even realize that his car was running.

  • My2centsworth Mar 24, 7:05 p.m.

    Why not make a Carbon Monoxided detector that connects in with the garage door opener or and exhaust fan. When Carbon monoxide levels get to a dangerously high level the garage door opens or an exhaust fan comes on.

  • kdajldf Mar 24, 6:35 p.m.

    Oh, I almost forgot about old automobiles. It would be cheaper to do like computer trainer and have a fire alarm that is also a carbon monoxide detector.

    Also My Screen name: "just think of all the safety regulations that the goverment has on automobiles and the car makers can't afford a little carbon monoxide detector unless it's less than $1.00 per vehicle to save lives."

    Are you talking about putting one in the automobile?

  • kdajldf Mar 24, 6:32 p.m.

    "Simply put a time limit on a running engine to 2 minutes via onboard computer and without a bypass signal from a human in the car and it shuts off. Simple huh???" - My Screen name

    What about the people who want to park their car and leave it running while they go run into the gas station, store, or whenever else a person may leave their car running.

  • My Screen name Mar 24, 10:07 a.m.

    just think of all the safety regulations that the goverment has on automobiles and the car makers can't afford a little carbon monoxide detector unless it's less than $1.00 per vehicle to save lives. Simply put a time limit on a running engine to 2 minutes via onboard computer and without a bypass signal from a human in the car and it shuts off. Simple huh???

  • computer trainer Mar 24, 1:36 a.m.

    WOW! This is SO SAD. Our garage is not attached to our house, but my son's is. Think I will ask tomorrow if he has a Carbon Monoxide detector.

  • Scarecrow Cow Mar 23, 9:30 p.m.

    This is absolutely tragic! Many people don't think carbon monoxide detectors are all that necessary but they DO save lives. I think I'll go check the batteries on mine.